Sunday, January 24, 2010

I'm an Amazon Associate - it's mostly about the widgets

Telling True Stories: A Nonfiction Writers' Guide from the Nieman Foundation at Harvard University  The Compassionate Brain: How Empathy Creates IntelligenceIllumine My Spirit: Baha'i Prayers and Meditations for Women

If you scroll down just a bit, beneath the blog subscription form on the right, you will see a rather tiny Amazon logo topped with “I’m an Amazon Associate.” Click on the logo and you’ll find yourself in the book section of Amazon. Oh-oh, has Luminous Realities gone commercial, you ask? Not so much. While potentially income-producing for me, it is not a deal that will take me to a warm climate during the New York winter, which is to say it is Not my motivation for becoming an Amazon Associate. It’s really all about the widgets.

It began some time ago when I replaced long book-title link-lists with three different slide-shows via widgets from Amazon. The slide-shows are an efficient and colorful way to share titles that I personally recommend. (Scroll down perma-links on right.) The gallery-display format of each slide-show lets a reader click on any book cover at the bottom of the frame to bring it to full display. Click on the displayed cover to link to Amazon for description, reader reviews, price. If you purchase the book after clicking through from Luminous Realities, I get a small percent of the sale.

But my main intent is to provide a service for blog readers. The first slide-show features titles for writers; the next, science titles for “writers and other curious beings;” and the third highlights Baha’i titles. These are books I have enjoyed and found useful. I quote from them in my blog and recommend them in writing workshops. The Baha’i books are resources I use for community activities or are written by author friends. I will add or change titles as new ones come to my attention, and I plan to talk about a couple in upcoming posts.

Today I also added a set of click-through Amazon banners. If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of this blog, you will see banner links to books, magazines, and mp3’s – I’ve also talked about music here, such as Andy Grammer and the Dawnbreaker Collective. For good measure I’ve included links to textbooks: Higher Learning, Lower Prices and to the new Amazon Shorts -- “exclusive short stories and essays from favorite authors delivered digitally” which I plan to sample very soon. More on that later.

In the meantime, a reminder that acquiring knowledge is part of the paradigm for a sustainable creative life. And never fear, I will also be recommending blogs which you can read for free.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. first the good news--I can finally post on your blog as I now have a google account! I love looking at the traffic on your site: While I was on there were people reading from NZ to FL to Wappinger Falls. And Terry's picture floated through as I was writing this ( a good omen). I'm thinking about the human nervous system and the internet and seeing that blogs like this one serve a greater purpose than we might be able to imagine right this minute.

    ReplyDelete